My parents got a couple bagfuls of tomatoes from a friend. They were going to toss them because they couldn't possibly eat them up and they were getting really ripe. I really didn't need more tomatoes, because I had plenty from our garden. However, I did not want to see them go to waste. So, I thought of the idea of trying to make my own tomato soup. I'm really glad I thought of this because it turned out delicious and I was able to use up all the tomatoes that my parents got, plus a few of mine. This soup is extremely easy to make and I love that I have a way to use up any surplus tomatoes we get from our garden. It actually makes me want to plant even more tomato plants so I can make of bunch of this next year and freeze it.
I looked at this "Garden Fresh Tomato Soup" recipe for a guide and here's what I came up with. Again, I don't measure... so I'm borrowing some of the measurements from the recipe I linked, because I do think it's pretty close to what I did. Sorry, no picture this time. I know...so disappointing.
Ingredients:
4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water (I might have used 2 cups to make it go farther)
1/2 small onion chopped finely
1 tsp minced garlic
1-2 TBSP butter
1 TBSP olive oil
1-1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 TBSP chopped fresh basil
1-2 TBSP sugar
1 tsp salt or to taste
1-2tsp pepper or to taste
3 TBSP cream (or half and half or something like that)
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions:
1)Heat butter and olive oil in pot. Add onion and saute until they are clear. Add garlic and saute for another couple minutes.
2) Add tomatoes, broth, water, sugar, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and the simmer for about 30mins.
3) Using an immersion blender (or you can dump the whole soup into a blender or food processor), blend until smooth.
4) Add cream. (I don't advise doing this if you are planning to freeze the soup. It'd be better if you left this part out, freeze the soup, and then after reheating the soup you can add the cream).
5) Serve and top with cheddar cheese.
Some other serving ideas: My friend makes grilled cheese croutons to serve on top of her tomato soup, which I think is so clever. Just make a couple grilled cheese sandwiches and cut into small squares or triangles and put them on top of the soup in each bowl. I have another friend who puts pasta in her tomato soup to make it go farther.
No comments:
Post a Comment