I had a little extra time today because I had some piano students cancel due to illness so I thought I'd share a recipe that I just made because my friends really like it when I post recipes.
The story behind this recipe: We are going to meet some friends tomorrow and I wanted to bring some muffins with me. When I asked the kids if they wanted me to make pumpkin muffins or oatmeal muffins, Mary said oatmeal and Philip said pumpkin... of course. So, I asked our host which I should bring and put it on her to make the decision for me. She said oatmeal. I said I would make cranberry white chip oatmeal muffins. Well, I started making the oatmeal muffins and went to put the craisins in... and of course, guess what we're out of. Craisins. Time to improvise! I decided to try making apple cinnamon oatmeal muffins instead since I've been thinking how good of a muffin that would be. Boy, are they good. I'm glad I ran out of craisins. Haha!
So here is a picture of 3 mini apple cinnamon oatmeal muffins.
I put 3, not because I consider that the serving size,
(though I always thought 3 mini muffins were about the size of 1 large
muffin) but because Mary always likes to have 3 of everything because
"God is a Trinity." I love Mary. Here is a picture of her "Trinity"
ornament she made for Beepaw (her paternal grandfather) for Christmas.
Ok, back to the recipe. Here is the original recipe for Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Muffins from Allrecipes which I have adapted/healthified. (Yes, I like to make up words like that. I've always said that I'm a math/science person.).
Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Muffins.
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups oats
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
1/2 cup applesauce (natural, unsweetened)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1-1 1/2 cup chopped apples
2 TBSP butter
2 TBSP sugar, divided
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup Whole wheat flour
1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp Vanilla
4tsp cinnamon, divided
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Directions:
1. Combine oats and milk and allow to stand for 15 minutes.(I don't always do this...) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Grease each cup of one 12-cup muffin tin and 24 mini muffin cups. (I tend to make my muffins smaller, so if you want to real overflowing type muffins, you probably only need one tin)
2. Mix chopped apples with 2TBSP melted butter and 1 TBSP sugar. Let sit for a couple minutes while you do step 3.
3. Stir in egg, applesauce, 1/2 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla into the oatmeal/milk mixture
4. Add in apple mixture and raisins to the above.
5.Add flours, baking powder and salt and stir until combined.
6.Fill each cup of one 12-cup muffin tin 2/3 full.
7. combine 1TBSP sugar and 1tsp cinnamon. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon sugar.
8. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 15-20 minutes (10mins for minimuffins) or until done.
I hope you enjoy these muffins as much as I did when I tested them. I hope everyone enjoys them at our playdate tomorrow!

No comments:
Post a Comment