Search This Blog

Monday, October 10, 2011

Mary's Ice-cream Birthday Cake- how to make one yourself

I've had a lot of people ask me how I made Mary's ice-cream cake so I will write it down here so I can just send this blog post to people. hehe!

Ingredients/supplies:
1 lasagna disposable pan (the deep lasagna kind)
2 almost gallon size Breyers Strawberry (or whatever flavor you desire) ice-cream. (I prefer Breyers, because it doesn't have any junk in it)
1 package of oreos, crushed (really you could use a little more than 1 package, but it's not worth buying an extra pack probably)
1 box of Chocolate cake mix (or make your own- I had too much to make already so I wanted to save time)
1 container of Cool whip- thawed in your refrigerator

First, bake your chocolate cake the day before you plan to make your ice cream cake. Bake this cake in the lasagna pan. 
The next day, take the ice cream out of the freezer. Remove the cake from the pan and slice the cake lengthwise in half, so it's a relatively thin layer of cake.  Crush your Oreos with a rolling pin or the back of a ladle. Press the oreo crumbs into the bottom of the lasagna pan. Squeeze the ice cream out of the container on to a large plate. It should come out mostly looking like the container. Slice the ice cream into slices about 1/2-3/4 inch thick (about the same thickness as once of your cake layers). Arrange it so that it all fits into the lasagna pan, adding what ice cream was left in the container or sort of fell off the large block to fill in the cracks. Using a rubber/silicone spatula or knife sort of smooth and smoosh the ice cream to be one layer. Then put a layer of cake on top of this first layer of ice-cream. I filled the gaps between the cake and the edge of the pan with more cookie crumbs. Repeat the ice-cream and the cake steps. Then sort of push down on the whole cake to smoosh it all together. Take the cool whip and spread it on top smoothly. (You can also use vanilla ice-cream for this step) I did not think of this at the time I was at the store.  Viola! All done! Now you can decorate it as you would any other cake. :) Obviously this cake needs to be stored in the freezer. Enjoy!!!!!!!!

No comments: