Search This Blog

Friday, October 14, 2011

To make hair clippies...

I made these strawberry hair clippies for Mary's strawberry birthday party:
So, I thought I'd do a tutorial on how to make hair clippies for your little girl(s). :-) 
 My cousin's daughter is turning 4 in a few weeks. She LOVES sheep. It is her favorite thing in the world. So I thought I'd make her some sheep hair clippies for her birthday to go along with her sheep dress that I am making for her.  So, here we go.
Supplies:
Hot glue gun and glue
Felt (For sheep, black and white, for strawberries, red and green)
3/8 inch wide coordinating ribbon (8inches length per hair clip)
White embroidery floss for eyes/seeds. 
Tapestry/Embroidery needle
Hair clips pictured below: (I bought these at Walmart. You can get them at JoAnn's or Michael's too).

First, make your strawberry, or sheep. Here are some templates. Honestly, I'm not sure if this saves the scale or not if you download the image. However, you could scale it yourself to the size clip you want and print it out and use it as a pattern.

Put together your sheep and sew the head and legs on either by hand or with a machine. I also tried just hot glue on one, just as an experiment and we'll see how it holds up. I suspect that sewing it on would be more sturdy tho. This is what I recommend.  For the strawberry just sew the leaves on to the strawberry. Sew a line down each leaf for stability. 


Next thread your embroidery needle and sew little eyes for your sheep or several seeds for your strawberries. Now your sheep/strawberry is done! Make sure on the sheep that you have mirror images or you will not be having matching sides on your clips. (Does that make any sense?!)


 Next we need to cover our hair clips with ribbon. I will warn you, you need to be careful or you may experience a little pain. LOL. Make sure to plug in your hot glue gun and let it heat up. Take one piece of ribbon and put a bead of glue on a small stretch of ribbon (a little more than the length of the clip.


Then wrap the ribbon around the clip like pictured below.


Put some more glue on another small stretch of ribbon and work your way around the whole clip:
Then add a little dot of glue to the ribbon and wrap it over the top of the clip again. Cut off the excess ribbon.
Then add a bead of glue across the top of the clip and then place your sheep or strawberry on top. Again, make sure you have mirror images of your sheep.
VIOLA! You're all done!

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions. I know I did not take pics of every step. I'll try to do better next time on that! hehehe! ENJOY making some fun clips for your daughters. I know I will! I hoping to make some pumpkin ones and cute Christmas ones too! Mary saw me making these sheep clips and said she wanted one, so I made one for her. hehehe!

No comments: