I wanted to write down (a lot for my benefit) some of my favorite things that my kids currently do..
Mary is a lot of fun right now (and with that a lot of work too, haha). She is really sweet though. One of my favorite things she does is sing to Philip when he's crying. She especially does this when we're in the car. Philip tends to cry in the car as he gets ready to fall asleep. She almost always sings to him a little song that I actually sing to Philip when I'm holding him to go to sleep. She likes to help too. One time Matthew accidentally dropped a bowl of hard boiled eggs. Immediately Mary said, "I'll help you!" and proceeds to run around the kitchen to help her Daddy pick up the eggs. So sweet. A favorite funny thing that Mary does now, is she ends a lot, if not most, of her sentences with "That's why!" even if it doesn't make sense. For instance yesterday, the phone rang and woke her up from nap. She comes out of her room and proceeds to give a long monologue about how the phone woke her up and this and that, and finally at the end she says, "That's why- that's how it goes." LOL It just cracks me up! I finally figured out where she got it from. At the end of one of the songs on a sing along CD we listen to in the car, the singer says, "That's why God made us." She somehow latched on the the "that's why" part of it and has added it to the end of many of her sentences. Some of Mary's favorite things right now are strawberries, watermelon, and her favorite thing to do now is connect the dots. She will blow through a whole workbook of connect the dots, if I let her. She's got an amazing attention span- if she really likes what she's doing.
Philip is such a joy to me. He is such a love. One of my favorite things is the way he kisses me. He grabs my hair and smooshes his face into my cheek with an open mouth. It is so sweet. He is really affectionate and attached to me. Another one of my favorite things he does is his squeal whenever I catch him going up the stairs. It's like he knows I'm going to come get him and he'll turn around and give me a huge grin and squeal with delight (and probably mischief!). Some of Philip's favorite things to do now are climbing the stairs, bang various objects, trying to grab the broom, and since he's a boy, pushing the button that makes the flushing sound on Mary's doll house (sigh, what is it with boys and finding toilets so amusing!?) .
My children are such a blessing from God and I try to remember this throughout the day, even when I'm tired and worn out. One day, when I was reflecting on the parable of the talents (with the 3 servants), the idea of seeing my children as talents God has entrusted to me. I have really been trying to remember this each day and praying that God would grant me to grace to take care of these precious talents he's given me, so that I can return them to Him someday "with interest" so to speak. The "interest" being the merits that God grants them the grace to earn. I pray to God that I will raise my children well to love and serve the Lord, hoping that they will be sponges and soak up the graces God gives them and do good works for His glory. This is my hope and prayer.

No comments:
Post a Comment