I know, odd title... Lenten activity and Easter in the same title. It's an activity that I'm doing with Mary during Lent but the project is really an Easter gift. Basically, we are going to say some extra prayers each day for family members and close friends. Each prayer or set of prayers corresponds to a flower sticker on cards for each family member or friend. The idea is to have give the recipient(s) a card with a bouquet of flower stickers on it which represents the spiritual bouquet of prayers that Mary has offered to God for that recipient(s).
Here's what you need:
Popsicle sticks (I used jumbo ones)
foam flower stickers (I got two packs for 2 bucks at Target, woot!)
green construction paper
mason jar or some sort of container to hold the flowers.
permanent marker
cardstock
flower stickers
two small folders labelled done and to do
First you need to make the "garden of prayers" as I decided to call it. LOL Basically stick a foam flower sticker on each popsicle stick or a few small flowers for a group of prayers. Cut leaves out of green construction paper and glue them on the popsicle sticks. On the back of each flower write out names of some prayers. Here's what we are doing this year. I will add more different prayers each year as Mary gets older.
Put the flowers in the jar or container. Then make your cards. I put the name of each person or family on the top of each card. If I was doing really well I would have printed some pics of the people so that it'd be easier for Mary to tell who was who, but that's OK. Anyway, then I cut out vases and had Mary glue them on the cards. Then Mary and I drew some "stems" on top of the vases.
Now each day, I'll have Mary pick a card out of the "to do" envelope and whichever "flower" she wants from the garden of prayers. Then she will say those prayers for the person whose card she picked. Then when she's done saying the prayers she gets to put a flower sticker on that person's card. She can do as many cards as she wants at a time. I just make sure to put the cards of the people she's prayed for in the done envelope so that we cycle through all the people.
Shortly before Easter, we'll mail the cards out with an explanation of the spiritual bouquet card.
My camera battery was charging so I didn't get to take a picture of her working on this today. Hopefully I can get a pic tomorrow to share with you. I'll update the post when I get picture!
Here are a few pics of Mary working on her cards and saying the prayers.
Here's a video of Mary saying part of the Our Father prayer. I was taking pics in the beginning part of it. hehe!
No comments:
Post a Comment